Friday, March 7, 2014

I had the ultrasound and MRI. The ultrasound on my thyroid showed a lot of small growths, they called them "nodules," but found them all to be benign. The MRI was a crazy experience. I was in the machine 2 straight hours. My neurologist had ordered the MRI because I have intermittent numbness in my face and parts of my back. They were looking for a recent hemorrhage or infarct. While I was in the machine the radiologist wanted to take more images then were ordered. They weren't looking for this, but they incidentally found that I have syringohydromylia, that definitely isn't helping me in everyday pain and exhaustion.  Syringomyelia are growths called syrinx's inside the spinal column, the hydro part means excess fluid and dilated spinal column. They also found cavum septum pallucidum, which is basically a Harry Potter spell meaning I have a gap in the middle of the two hemispheres of my brain. It's not a big deal, but it has been linked with all sorts of mental disorders. In President Holland's most recent conference talk he reassures people with depression that it is real, and akin to having any type of malfunction in another organ. I know that is true, but it's still hard to not feel like you are making it all up and it's all your fault and why can't you snap out of it. So, in a way it was sort of comforting to know that. Anyways, the next step is meeting with a neurosurgeon to discuss if and when I need surgery on my spinal column. The timing depends on how fast the syrinx's are growing and since I have only had one MRI my neurologist said the neurosurgeon will most likely want me to repeat the MRI again in a few months to see how quickly the condition is moving. Having all these tests done have really taught me a lot about my body. I wish every ten years everyone could just have a full CT and MRI just to get checked out. I feel really grateful to have insurance and be able to dig into what is causing me my daily symptoms. Neurosurgery is no walk in the park and there are a lot of things to be nervous about, but I am glad we are slowly finding answers. The word Syringomyelia above is hyperlinked to the wikipedia page, for my family members who like to do their research (Ryan :))

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad they are finding things. I'm amazed by how willing they are to give you tests. I had to fight for years to get a MRI with my face, hand, and feet numbness. And they only did my brain, I want them to do my spine because that's where my issue has been all these years. Can you tell I hate doctors? What was the result of the genetic testing for Alzheimers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awful that you have been experiencing such odd and unexplained symptoms, but I'm so glad the doctors are finding some answers to why it's all happening. I've never gone through testing like that, but when my mom was sick and test after test produced no answers, it was frustrating and scary. I actually *wanted* them to find something on her MRIs so that we could get to the "fixing it" stage. So I'm glad your doctors are monitoring and have some sort of plan of action. Wish we lived closer and could help. I'd totally entertain the kids if you needed to nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man Erin, I hope it all turns out good for you, and thanks for the links! You know me pretty well. I have felt there is something wrong with my nervous system for a long long time now, but I'm too much of a wuss to ever go see a doctor (I HATE DOCTORS).

    Was wondering if your lymph nodes ever swell up for no apparent reason, then go back to normal. Happens to me on and off for a decade or so now.

    Anyway I hope you get this thing whooped, and if you come to find any of it is hereditary let me know >.<

    Love you, and thing about you hipster doofuses all the time. I think maybe the plural of doofus is doofi?

    ReplyDelete