Monday, May 27, 2013

It's Memorial Day today.  We are taking the day to recuperate from our adventurous weekend. We did some fun things last week, and had the best desserts ever from a wonderful bakery here called Pastiche. Friday Nick and I finished watching Mad Men season 5. Saturday we went up to Boston, in what was probably our last family Boston trip (at least in the foreseeable future). There was a Barry McGee retrospective at the Institute for Contemporary Art, which is in an amazing building. Last time we were there we saw another incredible show and this one was even better. Barry McGee and his past wife Margaret Kilgallen are some of the biggest influences on our collaborative work and the way we view art and it's place in the world, so it was really incredible to see some of these pieces that I have read about, studied, and emulated for so long.



Art museums and galleries are my favorite places in the world. Whenever I travel I go wherever there is art that I want to see. I used to be able to stay in an art museum all day long and just soak up everything inside. Now I have a 4 year old who wants to run, yell and touch things. It makes for a pretty stressful visit. Usually he is really hard at museums and it lessens my enjoyment of them quite a bit, but the ICA had a family program going on Saturday. We went up because we knew families were free on family day, but we didn't realize they also had lots of kid activities planned.


There were three stations set up. One for the kids to make Barry McGee inspired signs, one to make binoculars with colorful tape, and a place where the kids could sit up on the fourth floor by the glass wall and look out at the water and sketch what they saw. There was also a dance performance, lessons, and a family dance party. Having these little activities spread throughout the museum gave Atlas something to interact with and a way to get energy out. That and having a show from one of my personal art heroes made for one of the most enjoyable museum experiences I've ever had. It was a blast. Every month they do a free family day. I am sad I didn't realize that earlier and take advantage of it more often. It's sad to be moving away from a big beautiful city where there are so many resources like the ICA.



It was a rainy day but we had our umbrellas so we went to the Boston Common, where we have been many times, but we have never walked across to the botanical gardens.


After the stroll in the gardens we made our way to the Trinity church. A historic landmark in Boston and an beautiful work of architecture. We went in and Atlas saw people praying and offered a cute little prayer as well, and then the irreverence set it so we didn't stay very long.



Right outside the church is Copley Square, near where the bombs went off during the marathon. People have set up a little memorial where runners have hung their shoes and hats. Stuffed animals, rosaries, posters, paintings and other items are strewn about four crosses honoring those lost. I didn't think it would effect me as much as it did.


We walked back on Newbury Street which is Boston's 5th Ave or Rodeo Drive. I went into a optical store because I think it's about time for some new glasses and I wanted to try on a specific pair. We also found DC Cupcakes new location and tried them out. After watching all the episodes on Netflix I was pretty excited to get some famous cupcakes. I'd have to say, the white chocolate raspberry was every bit as good as the hype.

Sunday I had to talk in sacrament. I was asked to speak on the Priesthood but mostly just talked about gender equality and being a female in the church and how I reconcile my feminist side with being in a patriarchal church. I was nervous, but I think it went really well. And that is why I love RI. I would never give that talk in Utah, but here it was very well received with a lot of people coming up to me after to tell me they really enjoyed it.

After church we went straight to Brown where they were just finishing up commencement. The Brown marching band was playing and there were people everywhere. It was quite a spectacle. It was a beautiful day and everyone around was so happy. There were tents set up all over the green where each department then retreated to have their individual diploma ceremony. Cosby and Atlas behaved just long enough while Nick sat in the front as they passed out the diplomas and read each student's honors.


We hung out for a while afterwards and talked to Nick's teachers and peers. Bruce Willis was there and even photobombed this picture for us.


It was a very excited and wonderful weekend, but also a weekend of missed naps which have added up to a pretty grouchy Atlas. It's sunny out today and I plan on being as lazy as possible before I have to spend tomorrow making appointments to see rental properties for when I fly out next week to Columbia, since I hate the phone so much. Just a few more days until I head out to find our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment